Monopod Repair

The monopod I have been using has not been able to maintain the selected height in the past few weeks.  I had been resorting to fixing the height by wrapping each section with masking tape during the events I have been shooting, and then removing the tape when I was done.

Turns out that I had tightened the screws on the flip locks too much. My constant, "if it ain't broke, let's fix it" compulsion has once again come back to bite me in the butt. This squeezed the plastic on the flip locks too much when tightening them to lock the leg, and ended up breaking the plastic on the flip lock. The locks would no longer engage positively. This became an acute problem when as I have started shooting with a large lens.

A quick search on the intertubes revealed that Manfrotto makes replacement parts available, including the flip locks. Turns out that Manfrotto has updated the flip locks, strengthening the doo-hickeys by beefing up the vunerable section. Mail ordered two of the replacement flip locks, and made a quick repair with a nut driver.

A replacement bolt, nut, and spacer spring comes with the flip lock. I now have spare bolts and spacer springs. I don't know how one would replace the spacer spring. It did not come out when I poked at it. Granted, I did not try to pry it out with pliers, but I think it is just as well. The spring does not seem to need to be replaced. And I can't help but wonder how difficult it would be to replace, if it is so difficult to remove.

I did notice that almost every component on the monopod can be ordered. That seems to suggest that one could make a monopod could be made from scratch using the replacement parts. Never mind that the total cost of the parts would probably add up to four or five times the cost of the purchase price of the monopod. But it does suggest that I can keep repairing the monopod as I wear out break components for as long as the replacement parts are available. This gives me a little more confidence as I abuse the monopod.

Kudos to Manfrotto - I can keep using the pod for a long time! I can keep repairing it, without sending more crap to the landfill as I find new and interesting ways to wreck components on the monopod.

Comments

Popular Posts